Presenting Mike Wazowski and Celia Mae!
Picture from: http://pixar.wikia.com/Celia_Mae
I’ll start with the Mike Wazowski costume. We ordered a bright green shirt from Amazon for the base. The eyes and mouth are cut out from felt and sewed together. Rather than sewing the eyes and mouth to the shirt, we just safety pinned it on so the shirt can easily be used later on. I had most of the felt at home, but the blue felt I went out and bought from Hobby Lobby only cost .25, making this a pretty cheap costume (only a few dollars for the shirt, that can now be reused).
The Celia Mae costume was a little more involved. I bought a long sleeve purple shirt and purple leggings from Walmart, the boa from Joann’s, and I already had the headband that her eye is sewn to. I made Celia’s eye just like Mike’s, but I hand sewed hers on (it was easy to take the stitches out of so I can use the headband again). You can barely see the snakes, but they are just toy snakes that I painted purple. This is the only part of the costume I wish was different. The snakes I bought online turned out to be a lot smaller than I thought and my purple paint was a lot darker than I thought. If I had more time (and wasn’t taking 18 credits this semester!) I would have sewn the snakes to make it look even more like her costume. I’ll have to do that next time! For the dress I bought 2 yards of green sequin fabric, then used a sheath dress I already owned for a “pattern” since I didn’t have one and didn’t want to buy one. I think it turned out fairly good, especially for whipping it out in less than an hour (it probably would’ve been quicker if I hadn’t used fabric with sequins on it!). This will be a costume we will have to repeat someday when we have kids and can incorporate more of the characters 🙂
I’m in disbelief that Halloween is tomorrow! Tomorrow night I will post a picture of our costumes this year (since I still have to finish my husband’s), but until then I will leave you with some of my favorite homemade ones from the past few years.
Starting with The Incredibles! I had already owned a red shirt, but just needed to find the rest of the pieces. The logos we printed off on paper and taped to our shirts. This is a costume we are planning on repeating again someday when we have kids and can cover more of the characters.
Next is the year my husband was a tooth and I was the tooth fairy. I made my own long tulle skirt by tying strands of tulle around a piece of elastic, then bought another, more fuller, tutu to wear on top. I already had a white shirt, but I did buy a crown, and a wand that I taped a tooth that I cut out of card stock.
For the tooth costume I traced a tooth onto a cheap white sheet, then cut it out, sewed it into a pillow, stuffed it, then added a ribbon at the top for my husband to wear. I love how it turned out! It was perfect since we were passing out candy at a dentist’s house and my husband works at a dental software company 🙂
And finally last year, my husband and I were the classic, Mario and Princess Peach 🙂
Mario was a very easy costume and involved a red shirt, overalls, and a Mario hat. For the Princess Peach costume I made a skirt using silky fabric, already had a pink shirt, and I bought white gloves and a crown. For the jewel I bought a Styrofoam ball that I painted blue then sprinkled glitter on it. On the back of it I hot glued a safety pin to attach it to my shirt. I loved how it turned out!
The month is nearly half over, but I finally was able to put up a few Halloween/fall decorations! These letters are just plain paper mache letters that I painted with chalkboard paint so I could draw cracks and spider webs on them. Very easy Halloween craft that looks cute on the shelf 🙂
The best month has arrived…