Monthly Archives: July 2014

Homemade Headboard and Nightstands

It’s about time I share the headboard and nightstands we built earlier this year! My husband did most of the work, but I was a pretty good helper 🙂 Technically this wasn’t our first building project (we had already built a planter), so building wasn’t completely new to us. Lucky for us, this time around we had a miter saw and Kreg Jig to use! We decided to stick with pine as our wood, but had a difficult time finding good pieces. I kind of wish now that we would have spent even more time and gone to more places to get the best wood pieces, but we can’t change that now, only remember it for future projects. Anyway, we started both of these projects in November! It’s been a fun project to work on,

IMG_0356

 

We started with the headboard, which came together beautifully. From a builders’ prospective, there aren’t many mistakes on it at all, which is great with this being our first time building actual furniture. And just like most DIY furniture builders these days, we used a plan from Ana White. Someday we want to build the rest of the bed, isn’t it perfect?! Anyway, I first wanted to paint the headboard white, but with our sheets and quilt being a cream color I didn’t think that would look good (and didn’t want to remake a king quilt and buy new sheets), so we decided staining would look the best. But as we looked into it, we started to wonder if our pine would stain as nice, especially since we had a hard time finding good pieces. The color that kept coming to my mind was gray, but after searching on Pinterest and Houzz I couldn’t really find a gray painted wood headboard, only fabric ones, so it was hard to picture if the gray would really look good on wood. After much indecisiveness we decided on gray, and boy am I glad because it looks lovely on the headboard!!! Not to mention the gray will really complement our cream sheets and cream, purple, and green quilt.

20131117_181934 20131127_214359(0)

 

IMG_0561

 

Now the nightstands are a little different. We knew they’d be harder to build, and since we didn’t have the best of wood they ended up not fitting together as well as we’d hoped. As far as the plan goes, we used a combination of this plan and this plan, in addition to modifying a few things (like another shelf!). The part I was the most worried about (the drawer) ended up working out great, but the shelves didn’t fit very well. The night we brought them in we discovered they were just barely too wide for our room! Back to the workshop they went, where my husband narrowed them to fit better. He also fixed the part of the shelf that was a little messed up, so now they are perfect!! We went with the same gray for the top and the shelves as we did the headboard, but supplemented it with a slightly creamy white. I love the two-toned color scheme!!! They aren’t perfect, but I love them anyway!

20131202_211228 DSC_7066

 

Finished King Quilt

After nearly 3 years in the making, our king quilt is finally finished! It all started in 2011 after I finished a quilt for Vince (and a few months after I finished my first two quilts for my parents). I decided I wanted to make a quilt for our bed, one that we could use exclusively in the summer, and over our blanket in the winter. For our second anniversary Vince gave me a gift card to Joann Fabrics (since the 2nd anniversary gift is cotton), and I could finally start on the king quilt. My mom bought me the book, Modern Basics by Amy Ellis, where I found the quilt pattern I wanted to use. Over the next several months I began collecting fabric for the quilt top. I bought some of the fabric at Joann’s and the rest at various quilt shops. By spring of 2012 I finally had collected enough variety in fabric to start cutting. I finally finished the quilt top in August of 2012, but with the quilting being so expensive we put it off until last year. Autumn of 2013 I finally bought the fabric for the quilt back (I decided to just use a solid cream), but didn’t send it off to be quilted until after Christmas. With the crazy busy semester the binding wasn’t finished until a few weeks ago, finally culminating several years of working on the huge quilt! Now that it’s finished I am in love!!!!!!!!!! It was worth all the money and time put into it, and something that we will treasure forever. I can’t say I ever want to make another king sized quilt again, but I sure am planning on a few others.

IMG_5552

How it all started

IMG_5728

After organizing the fabric by color and size

IMG_8809

Organizing the fabric into blocks

IMG_9683

Rows of the quilt before I sewed them together

IMG_9687

The finished quilt top

IMG_0603

After coming back from the quilter

20140511_193047

The finished product

DSC_4592

An up close detail of the quilting

2

It’s perfect!!!!